DIY giant brushstroke painting
Remember when I wrote about my plans to create my own big, abstract brushtroke painting to hang over the couch in the living room?
Well – it’s finally complete! Painted, framed, and on the wall! And I am completely in love with how it turned out, if I do say so myself.
As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, my inspiration was this lovely post on Francois et Moi, a totally amazing blog for anything DIY and home improvement related. And it turns out, this type of art is actually quite easy to create. All you need is a handful of art supplies, and a bit of courage!
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own brushstroke painting:
- A canvas – I bought a 80x100cm canvas at Søstrene Grene for around DKK 160
- White acrylic paint, as a base coat
- Blue acrylic paint (or any color you choose) – I bought these at Søstrene Grene as well at around DKK 22 per tube
- A big brush – I bought this 50mm one at Flügger Farver, but you ca find them at Panduro Hobby as well, around DKK 60
- A frame – mine is from Harald Nyborg for DKK 120
- A little sponge to apply the base coat
- A plastic plate or palette for the paint
Great, now you’re ready to get to work! Here’s what I did:
- Since I don’t own an easel, I transformed my dining room table into an art studio by simply covering it in old newspapers.
- I then applied two layers of white base coat with the little sponge. This is important to make sure the blue paint applies evenly.
- Once the base coat was dry, I applied the blue (or any other color) paint by coating the brush in a generous amount of paint and swinging it across the canvas in broad strokes. This was definitely the most fun part!
- Then I only had to wait for a day or two until the paint is completely dry, before I could frame and hang my new piece of art!
I’m really happy with how the painting turned out. I love the vibrant blue color, and I think it’s really cool to have a piece of art you created yourself in your home.
What do you think?
Do you have any DIY art pieces in your home? Let me know in the comments below!